SUP Fin Screws - Always Carry Back-ups

Here in Seattle, our beach sand is the same color as our fin screws. As a result, many of us have lost the screw and/or plate after 'one of those days' of fishing either out of the fin box after a failed fin attach attempt.

I do use QFR quick release fin screws for most of my fins but for surfing and/or specialty fins like Larry Allison's Ninja Fin, the screw holes are too wide or narrow for the QFR set-up. 

In Surfing, I find that a screwed in fin screw is more secure than the quick release versions which can slide in some fin boxes and/or can be ripped out if the fin hits a hard surface.  

Avoid losing your only fin screw by carrying backups. Since I run a paddle board school, I carry extra screw and plates, and have 2-3 varieties of each for students who may have different fins and varying width fin boxes. Note: Not all fin boxes are made the same. Test before going out!

I store my extra fin screws in a plastic jar in my car and carry one in my First Aid / Repair kit when teaching or on trips.  

Also keep a multi-tool handy especially if surfing or paddling with friends are you teach, as many will show up with screws that take either a flat head, Philips and/or a hex head.  Side bites fins are usually a tiny hex head requiring the right sized Allen wrench tool. 

Or get a quick release fin screw and forget all of the above! 

Can you spot the fin screw?
Always carry extra fin screws and plates



Check out my video on how to install a fin... 


Any questions give me a holler. Join my mailing list! Contact me: salmonbaypaddle@gmail.com / 206.465.7167 - Check out our kayak and SUP classes in Seattle - Beginning to advanced instruction including freighter and tug wave surfing, coastal surfing, rivers and racing, plus PSUPA Instructor Certification.




Comments