The Stoked Life - Surfer Magazine Founder John Severson Passes

Article from Adventure Journal / written by Steve Casimiro

"John Severson, who led the world the joys of playing on waves as the founder of Surfer Magazine, died Friday at his home on Maui, from leukemia. He was 83.
By any measure, Severson was one of the sport’s giants, known not just for launching the pre-eminent surf publication in the sport’s history, but also for his career as a filmmaker, surf competitor, and multimedia artist.
“Before John Severson,” surf journalist Sam George wrote in 1999, “there was no ‘surf media,’ no ‘surf industry’ and no ‘surf culture’—at least not in the way we understand it today.”
Severson grew up in Southern California and was drafted by the Army in 1956. “In a major Army SNAFU,” Severson said in an interview for his book, Surf, “I got sent to Hawaii for my tour of duty. I was assigned to the general’s staff as draftsman and illustrator, and then placed on the Army surf team. This was beyond my wildest dreams.."  Read the story



Any questions give me a holler. Join my mailing list! Contact me: salmonbaypaddle@gmail.com / 206.465.7167 - Check out our kayak and SUP classes in Seattle - Beginning to advanced instruction including freighter and tug wave surfing, coastal surfing, rivers and racing, plus PSUPA Instructor Certification.

Comments